Monday, November 3, 2008

06.27

I needed to hurry. I had to get in my office before 07.00. So Dan drove out the block gate. Ibit was still there waiting for her school car to pick her up.
Harus buru-buru. Aku harus sampai kantor jam 07.00. Dan menyetir keluar gerbang block. Ibit masih di sana menunggu mobil jemputan sekolahnya.

"Has she passed by?" I asked.
Ibit shook her head. Quite late. Bu Retno usually passed by not mere than 06.25
"Bu Retno sudah lewat?", tanyaku
Ibit menggeleng. Agak telat. BIasanya Bu Retno lewat sebelum 06.25.

"Should we drive her to school?", I asked Dan.
"You'll be late"
"Let me be late. Let's drive Ibit first"
"Kita antar Ibit dulu?", aku tanya Dan.
"Nanti kamu telat"
"Biar aja"

So I told Ibit to get into the car. Just about 10 seconds later, the school car came by.
"That's Bu Retno, Bit. Get down and go with her. So we both won't be late. Hurry up", I said.
Dan stopped and Ibit got down, and run back to where she used to wait for the car.
Kusuruh Ibit naik ke mobil. Tapi baru jalan 10 detik, datang mobilnya Bu Retno.
"Itu Bu Retno, Bit. Kamu ikut dia aja ya, jadi Ibu juga ga telat. Sana cepat", kataku.
Dan berhenti, Ibit turun dan lari balik mengejar mobil jemputannya.

We moved again, but then I told Dan to turn back.
"Why?"
"Do you think Bu Retno would turn back and pick up Ibit, or go on and out of the block through other gate?"
"I waved my hand to her, she saw me"
"Don't you think she might thought that Ibit has gone to school with us?"
Kami jalan lagi, tapi aku minta Dan balik.
"Kenapa?"
"Menurutmu, Bu Retno akan balik dan ambil Ibit, atau bablas dan keluar perumahan lewat jalan lain?"
"Aku sudah melambaikan tangan, dia lihat aku"
"Mungkin ngga, dia justru berpikir Ibit kita antar?"


So Dan turned the car around, "You will really be late"
"I don't care"
Akhirnya Dan berputar, "Kamu akan benar-benar terlambat"
"Aku ngga peduli"

And there she was. Ibit sat on the same place she was., tears were on her face.
"Come on up. We'll drive you to school", Dan told her to get in.
She got in the car and wipe her tears.
Itu dia, duduk di tempat dia biasa menunggu Bu Retno, matanya berair.
"Ayo, Bapak anter", Dan menyuruhnya naik.
Dia masuk mobil dan menghapus air matanya.

"Hey, why are you crying? What's up? Ain't Bu Retno going to turn around and pick you?"
"She will"
"Then why you cry?"
She smiled, and I shouldn't have asked why. I know being driven by us is a special thing to her. She almost got it, then almost lost it... but she got it back!
"Hey, kenapa nangis? Bu Retno nanti muter jemput kamu atau bablas sih?"
"Muter"
"Jadi kenapa nangis?"
Ibit tersenyum, dan harusnya aku tak usah bertanya. Aku tahu, diantar oleh Bapak atau Ibunya adalah hal istimewa buat dia. Dia baru saja hampir mendapatkannya, tiba-tiba hampir kehilangannya, tapi akhirnya mendapatkannya lagi.

I'm glad I decided to turn around...
Untung aku memutuskan untuk balik...

2 comments:

Are You Serious! said...

♥ I'm glad she was happy to be with you guys. That just shows how much she loves you guys! It's so sweet! :)

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Bout breaks your heart, huh?! So glad that you turned around and gave her a ride to school! It must mean a lot to her.